Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Grains of goodness...


Alexis' Vegetarian Farro
{also known as, the best thing EVER}

The neighborly thing to do is share recipes with the people who love to eat. Well that’s what my neighbor Alexis did. And I like her for it. The little pup likes her for the belly rubs. I know you and I are not necessarily neighbors, but I feel that I should pass this along anyway. 

Ingredients:
  • Farro (I got the Trader Joes- 10 Minute Farro and used the whole bag)
  • Squash (Yellow and green)- (I used 2 small yellow and one large green)
  • Cherry tomatoes (two handfuls)- I used heirloom tomatoes
  • Yellow onion (1/2 an onion)
  • Vegetable broth (3 cups for the Trader Joes Farro)
  • Parmesan cheese (as much as you like)
  • Olive oil
  • Oregano
  • 1 can of tomato sauce



Directions:

   1.    Saute the veggies in a tablespoon of olive oil. Cook until soft.   
  2.   In a separate pot, cook the farro in the veggie broth. The package tells you to cook the farro in water. But it’s better in veggie broth. You could probably use chicken broth instead if needed. Cook for 10 minutes.
  3.    Once both are cooked, mix the veggies into the farro in the larger pot.
  4.   Add the tomato sauce and continue to cook until warm. Mix in a dash of oregano and the cheese (I added about 1/3 of a cup).
  5.   Pour the mixture into a baking dish (I used a lasagna size dish) and sprinkle more cheese on top.
  6.   Bake for 20-30 minutes. Until warm and the flavors are melted together.

  7.    ENJOY!
y

The good thing about this meal is that you can really add any veggies that you want. The ingredients are not completely rigid. It would be a great side dish, but it can stand alone too. 

I think it's funny that the little pup was not nearly as interested in this veggie meal as he was the chicken.

- nicola & the little pup

No comments:

Post a Comment