Friday, November 15, 2013

I'm a slacker...

I apologize for going missing for a few weeks.  Although I really have nothing to do over here in Raleigh (well aside for organize this house and figure out how to get places without my GPS), I have been busy. I have been exploring. It's been fun.


A recent walk around town led me to a cute neighborhood named "Historic Oakwood."  I have driven through many times, but this time Andrew's Aunt and I decided to take the dogs for a walk there. She's lucky that I didn't just break in to a home and re-locate my life that day. The homes were built around 1901... some even earlier. And many of them took YEARS to build. That seems crazy considering that these days you can get a house up in months. I love the area because it has beautiful, established gardens, charming details, and decorated porches. Is it too soon to sell my house and move? ; )

Don't mind the pictures... I only had my phone handy... next time, I'll bring a camera for some good shots.





Not sure I would choose pink and purple, but the neighborhood sure is fun to look at. 




There is a cute Inn located in the heart of the neighborhood. We went to check it out. Molly (the golden retriever) felt right at home. There are also a few cute restaurants and shops down there.


Oakwood Inn




My favorite part of the homes is the front porch! I love the different doors, address numbers, and details. I'm going to have to step up my game...








The best part was that we were able to go inside of a home that was being renovated. During our walk, we started chatting with a friendly man who was in charge of the construction going on in an adorable 1901 home. He let us in, told us about the homes down there, explained the historic home rules, and told us to come back to see it finished! Well, I don't mind if I do! :)


Every room had a fireplace. Old pine floors lined the house. Layers of vintage wallpaper were being stripped. The home was being updated and modernized, which was sad and exciting all at once. The new design would have a more open floor plan, but with original mantels, trimmings, and floors. 


Even the storm door is cute. 

I wish I had taken more pictures of the little gem. 


Ok, so the best part is that 14 of the homes have a Christmas open house... where you can walk through and check out the home and their holiday decor! Sign me up!

Anyone want to come with me ? :)

- Nicola & the Little Pup

1 comment: