Tuesday, June 17, 2014

What's old is new...

I had this old dress that I wasn't a huge fan of, but it was really comfortable. It was black. When I was doing laundry months ago I got a few drops of bleach on the front of it. Five minutes later I had brown spots all down my comfy dress. Since then, I have been staring at it with hopes that it would somehow repair itself so that I could wear it again. I decided that I would give something a try before I chauffeured it to the Goodwill.  And, good news... It's been upgraded just in time for summer with a little BLEACH TIE DYE session.

How to Bleach Tie Dye your goods... 


Supplies:
- Item of clothing
- Bleach
-Bucket
-Rubberbands
- Rubber gloves (optional)

The easiest instructions ever: 
1) Take rubberbands and twist them around your item. I went in a straight line down the dress. (pic 1) 

2) Fill bucket with water and bleach (10 parts water to one part bleach). You just need enough to cover the item.

3) Place item in the bucket (let sit until you notice that it's the perfect shade)- mine was about 20 mins

4) Remove from the bucket. Cut the the rubberbands off and transport to the washing machine. Be careful, if any bleach gets on your clothes or carpet you'll have more to tie dye. :) I used an old target bag to make sure that my current dress didn't get ruined (I wouldn't put it past me).

5) Place it in the washing maching and wash on cold with NO laundry detergent.

Rubberband wrap up

Post bleach treatment- all different shades

The final product- front

Back

It's super easy and is the perfect solution for a shirt, dress, or blanket that you have ruined, are bored of, or just want to tie dye. I really want to try something that's navy blue. The black above came out a rust/brown color. So it's all a mystery. :)

- Nicola & the Little Pup


No comments:

Post a Comment